In Pittsburgh PA underlayment is a layer of foam, cork, film or other material installed between flooring and subfloor to block moisture, absorb sound and create a smooth, even surface. The underlayment you choose will depend on the type of floor you want to install and the environment in which you’re installing it.
- Standard foam is one of the most popular choices of underlayment, and is sold under a variety of brand names. Some varieties come with a layer of plastic film to protect them from moisture.
- Carpet pad is a type of foam placed under carpets and area rugs. The pad absorbs sound and cushions the surface so it feels more comfortable underfoot.
- Cork underlayment is an all-natural product that is especially good for noise reduction. Cork is most commonly used under hardwood and laminate floors.
- Cement board is used under ceramic tile and natural stone floors to protect them from moisture.
- Oriented strand board (OSB) is an engineered wood product commonly used as subflooring or a wood flooring underlayment.
With so many underlayment options, it can be tough to choose the perfect one for your new flooring. Let the experts at Floor Coverings International in Pittsburgh PA help. Call or click to schedule a free in-home consultation today.